10 On-Page and Off-Page SEO Tips
Search engine optimization. You should not be afraid of this term if you want to increase the traffic your website generates. Optimizing your site’s search engine performance does not require any black magic or even technological expertise. You can use simple techniques to raise your website’s search engine standing. Here are ten tips to get you started:
- To maximize your search engine optimization impact, consider your off-site networks. Is your website and/or business widely linked? Are you doing everything you can to take advantage of the power of social networking? If you cannot answer “yes” to either question, consider these ideas an easy way to boost your page views and name.
- When in the website development phase, don’t over-stuff your site with keywords as this can be used against you. The search engines look for words located primarily in content. however, having an unnatural amount of the same keywords in the content of your site can actually work to your disadvantage because it will send up a “red flag” to search results to skip as it seems fishy.
- Search engines work very quickly, but they do not like to dig deep down into your directory. So make sure that you are not burying files in your directory. For example: You may have a page located at MyBusiness.net/shop/products/listings/videos/014.html. This is a long, long path. Instead, create a more streamlined directory: shop-listings/014.html.
- The most important thing to do is learn about what local SEO does and why it works. There are several forms of media that can assist you with learning about search engine optimization. Spend a few days learning about it and taking notes, and you will understand why it is important. Then make the necessary changes to your blog or site.
- When marketing a product online, make sure your site is as useable and accessible as possible. If your website has problems with the code or can’t be viewed by certain browsers, you will lose visitors and therefore sales. Very few people will go to the trouble of switching browsers just to use your site.
- Make sure you spend time optimizing the content on your website. Good website content is easy to read by visitors and consistent when compared against both the title and tags listed with the story. Otherwise, search engines may rank your content poorly, making it more difficult for you to find a following.
- Don’t use hidden text or links on your website to optimize your site for search engines. Some webmasters will try to make text or links invisible to visitors but visible to search engine spiders. One way they do this is to use white text on a white background. Search engines can now easily spot this sort of behavior, so it will not help your site rank at all.
- There are many different types of meta tag, including one for keywords – but up-to-date webmasters rarely use it. Although keywords are the heart of any search engine optimization effort, the keyword meta tag has been so debased with spam-like abuse that today search engines ignore it entirely. Do not waste time packing the keyword tag; focus on more important areas.
- Publish content with as little HTML code as possible. Search engines prefer pages that favor actual content instead of tons of HTML code. In fact, they consistently rank them higher. So, when writing with SEO in mind, keep the code simple and concentrate on engaging your audience through your words.
- Add your keywords to the anchor text of your included links. Links are another item that the search engines rank higher in importance than regular text. The more places of importance to the engine that you put your keyword, the higher they will value those words in determining where your site should be in the rankings.
Hopefully, this article has helped to de-mystify the search engine optimization process for you. SEO is not an obscure or arcane process. Any webmaster can improve his or her site’s search engine rankings with easy tactics like those presented above. Increased traffic is something you probably want, no matter what kind of website you run. Basic SEO techniques like these can help you find the wider exposure for which you are looking.
SCULPT Marketing Group is a Texas marketing agency offering website development & proven SEO strategies. Marketing online since 1999!