DIY Home Remodeling Tips
If you’ve got a spare weekend and want to do something to improve your home, take a few seconds to read the advice that follows. While not everyone can do it themselves, even those who are hiring a professional, will benefit from understanding a few of basics of home improvement.
- Improve your home by installing ceiling fans in your rooms. Ceiling fans can help you save energy when you need to heat or cool your home. In the summer, the fan can create a breeze that has a cooling effect in the room. In the winter, when the spinning direction is reversed, the fan can recirculate warm air, which means less work is required from your heater.
- Remove a door from its frame without taking out the screws in the hinges. Need to take out a door so you can move a big piece of furniture? All you have to do is drive a nail through the bottom of the barrel of the hinge so the pin slides out of the top. Do that on both hinges and the door is free!
- Even if you don’t use your fireplace much, it’s important to get your chimney inspected and cleaned regularly by a professional. Burning wood can cause creosote to accumulate, and that could lead to a chimney fire. Avoid burning pitchy wood like pine to help keep creosote under control after a cleaning.
- Spice up your mantelpiece by decorating it with similarly grouped items. Collect objects that are similar in nature such as wood items, only items with letters on them, items that are old fashioned or different sized decorative paper boxes. They create an interesting focal point near your fireplace and can prove to be conversation pieces.
- While house painting is not necessarily a DIY project, There’s no shame in Googling “painters in my area” if the job gets too big. In the end, you want your home to be amazing.
- Do-it-yourself hardwood floor installation is especially tempting for homeowners who want to save money by tackling the project on their own. This is fine for most faux-wood kits but if you are using actual wood that must be sanded first, it may be best to hire a professional to handle the sanding. Real wood is quite expensive, and even the smallest sanding goof can ruin the flooring.
- Don’t neglect the roof gutters or they will get clogged and lead to potential roof problems and/or foundation issues when the water isn’t properly routed. Again, not really a DIY gig, but if you don’t want to search for “gutter installation near me” go check out YouTube for a host of how-to gutter maintenance videos.
- As you remodel your bathroom, pay special attention to lighting. Individuals mostly focus on the fixtures when doing bathroom remodeling and forget about how important lighting is. Find lights that you can add around your mirror or medicine cabinet, and add ceiling lights that can easily be replaced should the bulb die out.
- By redoing your driveway with a new method of surfacing or simply redoing the existing surfacing is a great home improvement job that will make your house look better. Not only will you be able to admire your house, but everyone in the neighborhood will as well.