How to Better Train Your Dog
If you are having trouble trying to train your little dog, you may need some help. If you just got a new pup, before you drop them off at a dog daycare for daily errands, or dog boarding for that week-long cruise, make sure you follow these tips to help you to get an understanding of how to train a dog.
- Walking your dog means leading your dog. Your role in this situation is to lead the pack, therefore your pet should be expected to walk a half step behind. You will instill confidence in your pet when they know you are leading the pack and making the decisions. They will be less likely to attempt running or being distracted while you walk.
- Teaching a dog to know its name is the first dog training task a new dog owner should undertake. The name is used in calling the dog and just in getting its attention. Therefore it is more appropriate to choose a short and easily enunciated name than a longer and more confusing one.
- Dogs need a well fitting collar and lead if they are to be properly trained. Don’t choose these items because they are cute or because they have rhinestones on them. Choose your dog’s collar and lead based on the service you desire from them. Ask yourself if a halter might be more appropriate for your particular dog. Do they need a long lead or would a shorter one be better? Make the right choices, and your dog will benefit.
- When you are training your dog, do not repeat commands over and over to get the dog to obey. Rather than teaching your dog to do what you say, repeating the same command when your dog doesn’t listen gives them an attitude of indifference. Give your commands firmly, once, and insist the dog do what you say.
- Give your dog a clear verbal cue that means “yes” to aid in training. Words like “yes” could be an effective way of communicating to your dog that he has done something you are pleased about.
- As your dog becomes increasingly more responsive to training, you can begin to give him more freedom. This balance between obedience and freedom will provide your dog with a very satisfying life. Be sure not to give them too much since this can counteract training efforts.
- Utilize primary reinforcement when training your furry friend. Primary reinforcement involves utilizing something that the dog loves to reward good behavior. This may mean giving food items as treats or scratching the dog’s tummy. Your dog will learn well from this.
- Keep your dog clean by getting regular dog grooming, or even the occasional doggie spa treatment. Doing so will help keep your pup happy and healthy.
Training any animal can be very difficult if you do not know what you are doing. Dogs are especially rowdy and bothersome, making them even more difficult to train. Hopefully, the tips on this site have helped you get a better understanding of how you can get your dog under control, today. If you’re in the Houston, TX area, connect with Woodlands Doggie Village for all your Houston dog boarding needs.